[Wolves] ADSL providers

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 15:39:51 GMT 2004

 --- Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:
> Take a look at freedom to surf <http://www.f2s.com>
> Reasonably priced,
> reliable and they use Linux/OSS on their servers.

I've been on f2s.net at Ron's recommendation since
about April and am very happy. £22.50 is a great price
and I haven't had any problems. Really I wouldn't have
been able to tell the diff from BT Yahoo, apart from
my connection doesn't splutter for a few days every
few months any more. I also seem to be getting a few
extra KB/sec.

I have a green Alcatel frog usb adsl modem (v2 I
think, it looks more like a stingray than a frog,
unlike the later ones) and it works fine out the front
of my Smoothwall v1.0 box, so if it costs me CPU
cycles I've never noticed. I believe that the later v3
and v4 frog modems (which aren't all green but do look
more like frogs ;) don't work with Smoothwall v1.0 but
will work with Smoothwall 2.0 with the latest patches
applied, the vanilla v2.0 install doesn't support
them. I've never seen a Smoothwall supported modems
list, but the frogs work fine as recorded above afaik
(check before doing this blindly), with the mgmt.o
firmware file from Alcatel uploaded to the Smoothwall
box.

Note that f2s supply a fixed IP address, don't block
any ports and for Smoothwall, you have to supply your
DNS servers manually.

Ad

=====
--