[Wolves] off topic: Mac

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Fri Nov 5 08:35:19 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 23:10, Andy Wootton wrote:
> Have you heard that there is going to be a new Apple Store in the
> Bullring? No-one else seems as excited by this news as me. I just like
> to look at Apple kit occasionally and PC World haven't treated it with
> the respect it deserves.

Getting closer... If they'd open one in Newcastle (or
unlikely-as-it-may-be Carlisle) then I'd be in heaven. At least now I've
got *another* reason to visit the sunny West Midlands...

You're quite right about PC World though -  a few weeks ago in Carlisle
they had half a side of a short aisle showing an iMac 17" and an iPod,
and couple of iBooks and PowerBooks dotted around the laptop section.
Went on Wednesday - one 12" PowerBook and a bunch of iPod accessories...

I understand there not much demand, and most people buy online anyway,
but it's sometimes nice to play with something before your hand over
your cash.

I still regret not picking up the Apple Cube Carlisle PC World had a
while ago - they were obviously desperate to get rid of it, and had
severely marked it down and thrown in a 15" display. My bank manager
would have lynched me though so I had to walk away. :( What might have
been...

Still OT - what do people think of the new iPod Photo?
http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodphoto/

Back on topic - I want a laptop, but don't want the headaches of
hardware support. I've heard nothing but good things about Linux
(particularly Ubuntu) on Powerbooks. My budget can't extend to a new G4
or even an iBook, so... Any ideas how well it will run on an older G3?

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy (aka Schwuk)
http://www.schwuk.com