[Wolves] Monitor Upgrade

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 17:14:44 GMT 2004

 --- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to upgrade my monitor but alas I can't afford
> the TFT sort too expensive, and I am not sure how
> well they work with Linux.

Hi Mo,

As far as I am aware Linux monitor support isn't a
driver issue, as just knowing the spec of your
monitor. In particular the horizintal and vertical
scan ranges. I think that if you know those then
you're fine, even if your monitor can't be
autodetected. I don't think monitors use drivers as
such under Linux, I think it's just a case of your
distro of choice being able to get the above info from
your monitor, or having a database of known monitor
specs from which you identify your monitor and it uses
the associated spec from the database.

If I'm wrong someone will point it out, but thats my
understanding. In a worst case most distros with
hardware autodetection will default to some sensible
and safe settings that should be usable on most
monitors, even if they doesn't look great.

A quick scan around suggests that they look like great
monitord, I haven't compared them to any others
though. Have a look at
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/peripherals/monitors/119009/prices
and
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/peripherals/monitors/214128/prices
for prices.

I think the spec for the E70f+SB is at
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/e2series/e70fplussb/
and the E7 is at
http://www.viewsonic.com.sg/products/productspecs.php?id=194&s=specs
including the required info I mentioned above.

I don't really look into monitors that much so maybe
someone else would be in a better position to advice
on alternatives.

HTH

Ad

=====