[Wolves] OT: Maths problem

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sat Nov 20 21:22:54 GMT 2004

Simon Burke wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:04:45 +0000 (GMT), Peter Oliver
>
>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Simon Burke wrote:
>>

>>>Eep.. i dont think i ever learnt that at school an i even did As level
>>>Maths and A2 physics. (they had spilt the a level then, As and A2). Or
>>>we could of just touched on it, i think.
>>
>>WTF?
>>

> Indeed... :)

it also helps if you remember the difference between degree's and
radians and remember which your calculator uses and which your math libs
use ;-)

I did it in maths and physics (Maths A, Physics B when that meant
something ;-) ) at GCSE back in the late 80's.  I can well believe you
didn't study it.  Jennie did combined science papers and got gcse's in
Chemistry, Physics and Biology for a combined effort of about 7 hours a
week.

My Physics and Human Biology took about 14 hours of classroom study a
week and I only got two a couple of B's.  She doesn't really have a good
grounding in basic science and got 3 C's.  She is only a three years
younger than me.

Some students on A levels these days can't write a sentence.  It's a
real shame because the weaker students don't seem to grades
proportionatly different from stronger ones.  At the other end of the
table.  Foundation students who don't need any quals to join are about
as able as the weaker A level students.  It seems everyone is either in
the top couple of grades or the bottom couple.

sparkes