[Wolves] OT: Maths problem

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 22:48:07 GMT 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:38:51 +0000, sparkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:

> Simon Burke wrote:

> >>WTF?
> >>

> > Indeed... :)
> >

> it also helps if you remember the difference between degree's and
> radians and remember which your calculator uses and which your math libs
> use ;-)
>
> I did it in maths and physics (Maths A, Physics B when that meant
> something ;-) ) at GCSE back in the late 80's.  I can well believe you
> didn't study it.  Jennie did combined science papers and got gcse's in
> Chemistry, Physics and Biology for a combined effort of about 7 hours a
> week.
>
> My Physics and Human Biology took about 14 hours of classroom study a
> week and I only got two a couple of B's.  She doesn't really have a good
> grounding in basic science and got 3 C's.  She is only a three years
> younger than me.
>
> Some students on A levels these days can't write a sentence.  It's a
> real shame because the weaker students don't seem to grades
> proportionatly different from stronger ones.  At the other end of the
> table.  Foundation students who don't need any quals to join are about
> as able as the weaker A level students.  It seems everyone is either in
> the top couple of grades or the bottom couple.
>
> sparkes

I've deliberately not snipped any of this as it is relevant.  The
initial question reminded me of my one and only foray into programming
- Pascal.  It reminds me very much of a program we were asked to
design to calculate amounts of rocket fuel used under different sets
of circumstances.  I don't even think I pressed a single key for that
program.  I was totally lost.  I dropped the course a couple of weeks
after that.  Shame really because I enjoyed the calculating disk sizes
and stuff like that. I never did A level maths at school and my CSE
grade was about a 3.  For those who wonder what I'm on about CSE's
came before GCSE's.

I'm going back to sleep now ;-)
--
Take care.