[Wolves] SMS messages

Jon Farmer jonfarmer at enta.net
Wed Oct 27 14:28:45 BST 2004

Gary wrote:
> Has anyone got any ideas on how to send and receive SMS messages via Linux.
>
> What I am trying to do is send an SMS message from a script that will
> include an activation code (to confirm identity). We would then need to be
> able to receive a reply back to us via SMS that we can pipe into a script.

Get a old Nokia with a cable to the serial port and get the open source
software gnokii

The software allows you to send SMS in class 1 and 2 and also tones and
basic pictures not MMS. There is a bianry included in the package that
will pull all incoming SMS off the phone and put it in a MySQL database
or you can use the main binary to pull SMS off and do what you like with
it.

--
Jon Farmer
Systems Programmer