[Wolves] SMS messages

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 23:59:42 BST 2004

Gary wrote:

>Has anyone got any ideas on how to send and receive SMS messages via Linux.
>
>What I am trying to do is send an SMS message from a script that will
>include an activation code (to confirm identity). We would then need to be
>able to receive a reply back to us via SMS that we can pipe into a script.

There are SMS Gateways available as a service on the Net. I looked at a
consumer version where you bought a batch of messages in advance then
called off your messages against that. I believe there was a call (RPC?)
interface and a commercial service with other payment options. The
messages started off at about 10p and got cheaper with volume.

Woo