[Wolves] Advice on Debian...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Thu Oct 28 12:09:14 BST 2004

Although I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Fedora man, I'm considering moving
towards Debian because:

1) Ubuntu looks *very* interesting
2) I'm not entirely happy with the way Fedora/RH do some things
3) I may be getting some non-x86 machines to play with

Reason 4) would be "I'm bored" :)

Don't get me wrong - Fedora is very good, but it has heavy commercial
ties and that just doesn't sit right with me anymore. There's no way I
could use Fedora or even RHEL at my day job because they are backing
SUSE and Debian and I don't want to pay for SUSE so it's time for a
change...

But before I can make the move, my questions are:

1) Which should I be using? Stable, Testing, or Unstable? I'm planning
on running both desktops and servers (although the desktops will
probably be Ubuntu).
2) Is Debian practical on dial-up (albeit ISDN)? My last attempt at
installing it was thwarted by the amount of updates I needed to
download.
3) If I choose Stable for my servers, how do I stand for running
more-up-date software - e.g. Apache 2.0
4) How different is it?

I know can read up on a lot of this, but I also know there a lot of
Debian-ites on this list, so...

Cheers,
--
Schwuk - http://www.schwuk.com