[Wolves] GPRS network cards

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sat Sep 11 10:02:02 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 09:51, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> Barbie wrote:
> > Anyone had any experience of these, and recommend a good one that works on Linux?
>
> Bear with me, I'm a bit thick. What does such a card do? I mean, my
> phone does GPRS. Does the card just give you a GPRS connection to the
> internet without having a phone involved? I had no idea that such a
> useful thing existed; presumably there is a monthly subscription to own
> one? If I were needing the same thing, I'd probably just use my phone as
> a GPRS modem via BlueTooth, I think (I've successfully done it talking
> to my phone via IR before).

Basically correct, the card has a SIM which has to be registered to a
mobile service provider.  Some cards will use GSM or GPRS or Wi-Fi,
depending upon service availability.  The latest (Vodaphone) use 3G and
fall back to GPRS when out of a 3G area (not very good coverage at
present).  Monthly subscription is by traffic £20 buys 75MB but each
extra 1MB costs £1.50!

See <http://www.vodafone.co.uk> for details.

--
Ron Wellsted