[Wolves] GPRS network cards

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 16:32:36 BST 2004

Aq. wrote....

> Barbie wrote:
> > Anyone had any experience of these, and recommend a good one that works
on Linux?

> Bear with me, I'm a bit thick. What does such a card do? I mean, my
> phone does GPRS. Does the card just give you a GPRS connection to the
> internet without having a phone involved? I had no idea that such a
> useful thing existed; presumably there is a monthly subscription to own
> one? If I were needing the same thing, I'd probably just use my phone as
> a GPRS modem via BlueTooth, I think (I've successfully done it talking
> to my phone via IR before).

It's basically a high data rate phone connection, wrapped up in Wi-Fi style
PCMCIA card, with the antenna attached. You can get close to broadband speed
with it. Unfortunately my phone doesn't have BlueTooth, but it does have an
IR port (as does the laptop), although I've yet to have the IR port working
on the laptop :( Seeing as the GPRS cards I've seen are rather expensive, I
may just try and get the IR ports work (anyone know any good reference
guides ... online ... that are worth looking at?)

Vodafone do have a few options [1][2], but they are all quite expensive for
me at the moment. Although their coverage around Europe is rather excellent,
including the Eastern Mediterranean.

[1]
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=%2FVodafone+Portal%2FBusiness+Services%2FVodafone+Mobile+Connect+Card%2FGPRS+Mobile+Connect%2FPrice+plans&BV_SessionID=@@@@0570661577.1094916544@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcmhjefdgdcflgcegjdgnfdffm.0
[2]
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=%2FVodafone+Portal%2FBusiness+Services%2FVodafone+Mobile+Connect+Card%2F3G+Mobile+Connect%2FPrice+plans&promoOID=1073857633&BV_SessionID=@@@@0570661577.1094916544@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcmhjefdgdcflgcegjdgnfdffm.0

Barbie.