[Wolves] Now a Linux question

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 15:09:18 BST 2004

On Monday 27 Sep 2004 14:47, The wise and knowledgeable Kevan proclaimed:

> No idea Peter as I hadn't even thought of running it.
> Both times I installed - the first abortive on my
> newer PC - I let Mandrake sort itself out.  Both times
> it was onto a clean dedicated drive.

Hm thats strange, I take it it only had the one drive?
Was it formated? if so how?

> I'll try it again on another drive and try running
> fdisk to see what it brings up.

I have a terrible short term memory so I usually do fdisk then write down the
various drive letters (old age see), even a windows boot floppy will do
although you'll need to work out the drive listing under Linux.

When you install if it looks like its gonna go on the wrong drive tell it the
correct one.

I should point out I generally partition the relevant drive with Partition
magic but you can do the same with parted so long as you know the drive you
want.

> The strange thing si that on the newer PC it did
> indeed look at the 'e' partition and ignored the
> 'physically' earlier drives.  It nearly ended up in
> disaster as I had important files and data on that
> particular drive.  On the older PC again it 'stated'
> that it was installing to hd'e' but this time it was
> physically the first drive on the first IDE channel.
> Moat peculiar :-)

So if I understand you correctly its thinking 'e' is the 5th drive?

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"