[Wolves] Now a Linux question

Kevan kevanf1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 18:09:14 BST 2004

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Monday 27 Sep 2004 14:47, The wise and
> knowledgeable Kevan proclaimed:
>
> > No idea Peter as I hadn't even thought of running
> it.
> > Both times I installed - the first abortive on my
> > newer PC - I let Mandrake sort itself out.  Both
> times
> > it was onto a clean dedicated drive.
>
> Hm thats strange, I take it it only had the one
> drive?
> Was it formated? if so how?

Yes - not counting the single CD ROM on IDE channel 2
- and it was a none formatted drive.  I had cleaned it
up including the MBR with Quantum drive manager
software.

> > I'll try it again on another drive and try running
> > fdisk to see what it brings up.
>
> I have a terrible short term memory so I usually do
> fdisk then write down the
> various drive letters (old age see), even a windows
> boot floppy will do
> although you'll need to work out the drive listing
> under Linux.

That sounds like me :-)

> When you install if it looks like its gonna go on
> the wrong drive tell it the
> correct one.

My thoughts entirely :-)

> I should point out I generally partition the
> relevant drive with Partition
> magic but you can do the same with parted so long as
> you know the drive you
> want.

I have a copy of PM somewhere, but, it's an older copy
and does not support ReiserFS.  I think it formats
Linux as Ext2 but it does the job ok.

> > The strange thing is that on the newer PC it did
> > indeed look at the 'e' partition and ignored the
> > 'physically' earlier drives.  It nearly ended up
> in
> > disaster as I had important files and data on that
> > particular drive.  On the older PC again it
> 'stated'
> > that it was installing to hd'e' but this time it
> was
> > physically the first drive on the first IDE
> channel.
> > Most peculiar :-)
>
> So if I understand you correctly its thinking 'e' is
> the 5th drive?

Yes... on both PC's.  The newer PC - Gigabyte
7VAXP-A-Ultra with a 2500 Athlon Barton and 512mb -
has a DVD drive and a CD writer on IDE channel 2 - 1
on Linux.  I at first thought that it might be due to
the onboard RAID which I have configured purely as a
couple of extra IDE channels.  So, I literally pulled
the plug on those drives.  No difference.  Then I
tried it on the old PC and it still came up with hde.
The really annoying thing is that SuSE will not
install at all on the newer PC.  It tries but stalls
at the first hurdle.  For this I suspect it doesn't
like the NVidia graphics card.

Kevan