[Wolves] Kernel 2.6 psmouse

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 12:22:13 BST 2004

Hi all.

I was idly browsing about why I can't tap my laptop
mousepad for a click event anymore when I came across
the following link.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2199

It's apparently to do with changes in the psmouse code
for kernel 2.6.

I then stumbled across this
http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=769669
on some forum or other, where a guy was having a
problem detailed in the kerneltrap article.

I pointed him at the kerneltrap link and he
understands the problem, but not the solution. Before
I answer him I want to make sure I am right myself as
it is similar to the solution to my own problem.

The recommendation was to "Use psmouse.proto=bare on
the kernel command line, or proto=bare on the
psmouse module command line."

Whats the best way of doing this? My solution would be
to pass this is a boot option in Lilo (or grub) or at
a boot prompt with the command

linux psmouse.proto=bare

Is this the best way? Please be as picky as you like,
there may be a few ways, but the best way is always
the right one.

Thanks,

Ad

=====