[Wolves] Chris : Midlands Today

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu Apr 14 16:19:37 BST 2005

On 14 Apr 2005, at 10:43, Kevanf1 wrote:

Ah, now I understand :-)
Yes, I saw the article.  Very good too.  All

ahhh, now I understand, that Chris ;-)

> about the way local and national radio hams were able to communicate
> with survivors of the Boxing Day Tsunami.  They did an excellent job
> in directing the emergency services to where help was needed most.
>
> I remember reading years ago that the internet would survive a nuclear
> war.  It would act as a way of communication.

The bits that make the internet work are spread all over the place and
it was designed to route past bits that didn't work so it would out
survive you ;-)

> At the time I wondered
> why nobody had thought of the magnetic pulse and the devastation it
> would cause with electronics.

only within a certain range of the bombs.  One of the discussions that
most scared the staff at the pub we used to meet at was our apotaliptic
air burst distruption conversation ;-)  big chunks of the workings of
the internet are deep underground and under the ocean and every packet
is routed in a adhoc basis.  When you turn off your router the internet
doesn't go away, it just sends packets a different way.  It's like the
sound of one hand clapping.

> Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but
> wouldn't the same happen to ham radio?  Unless it was an old tube set?

a crystal you grow from any metalic salt and a bit of wire will pick up
some radio frequencies ;-)

it's intergrated circuits that have problems with electro magnetic
pulses since there are all (to differing standards) radio transmitters
and recievers and can be burnt out by powerful radiation in frequencies
they soak up.

Pretty much every bit of electronics has to be tested to make sure it
isn't buggered by radio waves and doesn't emit too many radio waves to
the extent you could probably microwave your laptop for a minute and
then (after cooling) turn it on with minimal effect ;-)  try this with
your own gear, not mine.  Your modern tv won't be messed up by the
effects of a motorbike engine in the street (for some reason motorbikes
cause shed loads of radio rf when cars don't, it could be the body of a
car acts as a faraday cage?) but an old black and white tube set
proabably will be effected.

In most cases electronics just go on the blink when subjected to high
doses of radio frequency and return to normal after it's finished.

On the TV not too long back a computer (a 286 if memory serves me
right) was subjected to masses of radio energy in a testing chamber up
to millions of gauss (if I have my units right) while running and as it
got to levels that would probably cause lots of sickness in people it
turned off.  They turned down the juice and it rebooted with lost bios
settings.  This was at energy levels that would cause small metal
objects to leviate but the computer survived it.  I doubt it would for
long and the hdd could have been buggered too but it just rebooted when
they turned the juice down to a post screen indicating lost bios.  So
electronics can take more abuse than is given credit these days.

It was a myth at if F16's where within so many miles of an airburst
they would fall from the sky due to failiure of it's fly by wire system
(it has no traditional control just electronic) but I doubt the US
would have it's primary dog fighter knocked out of the sky by anything
but a direct hit and I think the myths probably started to stop
americans hoarding batteries in the 50's and 60's ;-)

I am sure re- and some of the more radio savvy people (pun intended)
can help you a lot more on this but I am pretty sure the fecked up
ionosphere and a nuke war would stop long range short wave for a while
anyway, but given the circumstances shorter range communication would
probably help more.

> --
> Take care.
> Kevan Farmer