[Wolves] Chris : Midlands Today - microwaves...

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 20:30:37 BST 2005

On Thursday 14 Apr 2005 18:54, chris procter wrote:

> I did once talk to a guy who was investigating the
> health effects of mobile phones who claimed that the
> radiation your average microwave puts out into the
> kitchen is thousands of time higher then that
> detectable standing at the bottom of a phone mast.

I hired a microwave radiation test meter a few months ago (just before our
baby was born) to test for microwave radiation in the house.  There was a
rumour that a sign down the road was a phone mast.  I tested loads of stuff
including a couple of microwave ovens & they were well into the red (danger)
zone on the meter, anywhere within a metre of the oven.  The emptier the
oven, the more radiation seemed to escape too.  Since then I've told people
to try & keep babies & small children (who are especially vulnerable) at
least a metre away from microwave ovens, mobile phones or DECT phones when in
use or a DECT base station.  All good fun eh!  I didn't know anyone using
wifi back then or I would have tested that too.

I got it from here http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/sales/equip.asp
& have since considered buying one.

The base of a mobile phone mast has relatively little radiation due to the
nature of the wave.  I can't remember the distance but it's somewhere around
100 metres for peak radiation at ground level - obviously depends on the
height of the mast.  Phone companies often fudge the issue quoting facts such
as the radiation being higher for a user using a mobile phone than from a
mast.  We know that there are probable health risks from excessive mobile
phone use now though but it's personal choice.  Having a mast sited near
where you live means your possibly getting that radiation 24/7 and as I
stated earlier children are much more vulnerable.

kev