[Wolves] linux certification

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 12:59:45 BST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 12:25, Adam Sweet wrote:

> > If you just want certification, I recomment the LPI;
> > you can undertake
> > hte exams in Birmingham city centre in an hour or so
> > (they're
> > multichoice/fill in the blanks etc) and cost around
> > about 50-60 quid per
> > exam.

When my free tickets arrive for this years Expo apparently I will be entitled
to Fail the test free or at least half price. The website is a bit confusing
on the front page it says register and take the test for free yet when you go
to the registration page it says take the test for half price.

I have all the RHCE exam books at home, they ain't cheap, I had a conversation
with Dave Goodwin a few months back and agree with his sentiments.

LPI is a good qualification to have but the downside is you don't have to
demonstrate any 'hands on' skills in respect of problem solving, with Red Hat
and others you do. The major obstacle is price when I last looked the most
basic RH one was £1500.00 which is almost impossible to pay out of your own
pocket.

Its a pity there isn't some sort of grant you could get? something like the
Princes trust, I suppose they're not the correct type but you get my drift.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing,