[Wolves] linux certification

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 12:59:42 BST 2005

--- Katherine Goodwin <kat at codepoets.co.uk> wrote:

> Adam Sweet wrote :

> > > I think there has been some talk of doing a lug
> > > training day (or am I dreaming?).

Sorry to be slow getting back to this...

> > Yeah that was me, I still
> > plan to do this at some point though, I thought it
> > would be nice to either video the training itself
> and
> > also do a vnc2swf screencapture with audio so that
> > people can access it online. But perhaps just the
> > training will do in the first instance.

> Once I've finished working out my notice, one thing
> I want to do is get
> a moodle site up and running (it is installed and I
> have started
> creating content) that I can put various
> training courses on.  The idea is twofold, that if I
> can get some help
> maintaining it we can run online courses for the
> community, but that I can also
> use it as a forum to get some people who want that
> bit more and are willing to pay.
>
> I wasn't intending to open it up as a free-for-all
> for registration, but
> more as an on-request service, so that we can
> monitor the quality of the
> resources, and track who is using it.  Referalls
> through LUG etc would be fine.

In the nicest possible way, this doesn't run with my
idea at all. I was hoping to do it once,
record/capture it on video and audio or some other
format and then put it on the web. Maybe do it again
as per demand, perhaps for Open Advantage or other
companies.

> > If we want to push this along then maybe we can
> get
> > started. Decide who can do what, what to cover and
> so
> > on. I spoke to Jono about this when we were both a
> bit
> > drunk on the way to What the Hack and he said that
> > this kind of thing was needed, I can't remember
> what
> > else he said, but maybe he could help us focus on
> what
> > he is a seeing a need for from people who get in
> touch
> > with Open Advantage.
> >

> What we need to start with is a small community of
> people who are
> willing to write the training materials, and review
> each other's contributions.
>
> I have some strong views from my teaching background
> (teaching experience,
> educational theory and VLE development
> experience)about how training
> should be done, but I always like to talk about
> things (and training is
> slightly different again from the school and
> university teaching I've
> done - as I discovered when I did some training
> courses for
> OpenAdvantage) so hopefully we'd all be able to
> produce some good quality learning materials.

I think we could collaborate on material and content
and use it in our own ways.

> My thoughts so far were mostly on the following
> courses:
> * php for programmers
> * programming for non-programmers (php or python)?)
> * small vim tutorials
> but obviously there's a requirement for something
> that covers the LPI sylabus.

Again, I was thinking something more along the lines
of introductory material for beginners. To me,
programming and Vim are not something that fit in with
my plans, but I can see how they might fit in with
yours.

My idea for training is something I could deliver to
people who have heard of Linux but aren't using it or
are thinking of trying it, people in the LUG that are
just starting out with Linux and people who have
perhaps been using it for a while but don't feel very
confident in handling the system.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk