[Wolves] linux certification

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 13:29:59 BST 2005

Peter Cannon wrote :
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 12:38, Katherine Goodwin wrote:
>
> > Once I've finished working out my notice, one thing I want to do is get
> > a moodle site up and running (it is installed and I have started
> > creating content) that I can put various
> > training courses on.  The idea is twofold, that if I can get some help
> > maintaining it we can run online courses for the community, but that I can
> > also use it as a forum to get some people who want that bit more and are
> > willing to pay.
>
> Moodle Site!
>
> Where do they get these names from? its basically Mambo isn't it? I've been
> playing with Mambo for the last three weeks hoping to put something up very
> soon.
Moodle is a VLE - Virtual learning environment - for use in schools and
other educational establishments.  Tim Williams at SBLUG raves about it,
and I saw an excellent talk about how it is used in a school at FLOSSIE
(Free/Libre Open Source Software In Education) in July, which inspired
me.
I understand it works in sort of the same way as somethign like mambo (although I've never actually used mambo, being a plone fan instead)
You can set lessons/topics and exercises etc, and have people submit
answers/take quizzes etc.  Well there's lots to it - moodle is
apparently based around social constructivism, which as far as i
understand, focuses on the interactions between students and  teachers
(and students and students)

As an aside, you don't want to use mambo, you want to use plone :-) And
of course, PalePurple will be offering excellent value plone hosting
service! (sorry, had to get that in ;-))

Kat