[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 15:33:37 BST 2005

Jono Bacon wrote :
> Hi all,
>
> I have been thinking recently about ways to re-vitalise the LUG and
> bring some more interesting content to our meetings. I am keen to keep
> the meetings very social and fun, but to also provide a means in which
> we can explore different subjects and topics in more detail. This
> could include presentations, demos and more.
>
> To do this we will need to work together. Historically, changes in
> direction in social groups is met with enthusiasm and then no one
> helps out. I hope we can be a little different.

I know we suffer from LUGApathy, but different people have managed to
keep various things running.

> So, what ideas do you all have? Presentations is an obvious one, but I
> think it would be important to keep the presentations to really
> interesting subjects (this is obviously objective). I don't think any
> of us want company PR and dull over-technical discussions.

I think having a discussion topic would be better than a presentation.
Often even though one or more people might be the 'expert' and lead the
discussion, other people have different experiences, and a lot to offer.
We could have one or two people prepare say 20 minutes on the subject to
get us going, then open it up.

> Also, our website need s spring clean. I don't have a lot of time to
> dedicate to it. Would anyone like to create another site that gives
> the same kind of information we have now, but is a bit more dynamic
> and interesting?

Want a plone site which people can share responsibilty for? (Don't want
to sound like a broken record, but I am very impressed with it)
I'll install one on my laptop tonight so people can take a look if they
like.
We can provide one if you want it, and I'm getting good at skinning if
someone provides a basic design...
It would mean easy access for a group of contributors, and less chance
of things getting out of date, when someone's real life takes over for a
bit.

Just my suggestions.

Kat