[Wolves] New distro for server

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Aug 18 12:06:22 BST 2005

Wayne Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've only ever used Redhat/Fedora distros, but am planning to build a
> new web/email server.
> See a lot of talk of Ubuntu in here, is it a good choice for a new start
> or does it need lots of playing with?
> Two other things it needs to do - run a tv tuner card to run streamer
> for cctv capture, and possibly want to set up a raid
> (never done one before).

I think Debian is better than Ubuntu for servers at the current time -
in that it has a longer stable release period, and packages like e.g.
cups aren't broken (in Ubuntu you have to use the gnome-cups package, in
Sarge you can use the web interface).

RAID setup isn't too much of a problem, although I'm not sure if either
installer allows you to do it at install time (I may be wrong though).
If you don't want / to be RAID'ed then it's relatively simple (see 'man
mdadm' or 'mdadm help')

The TV tuner bit will require a card that is supported by the kernel;
google will probably be your best friend with regards to this.

David
--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.co.uk