[Wolves] New distro for server

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 13:48:55 BST 2005

David Goodwin wrote:

> Wayne Morris wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've only ever used Redhat/Fedora distros, but am planning to build a
>> new web/email server.
>> See a lot of talk of Ubuntu in here, is it a good choice for a new
>> start or does it need lots of playing with?
>> Two other things it needs to do - run a tv tuner card to run streamer
>> for cctv capture, and possibly want to set up a raid
>> (never done one before).
>

> I think Debian is better than Ubuntu for servers at the current time -
> in that it has a longer stable release period, and packages like e.g.
> cups aren't broken (in Ubuntu you have to use the gnome-cups package,
> in Sarge you can use the web interface).

David knows much more about Debian than me and I'm sure he's right that
it's better but I'd take some convincing that it's easier. Is a slow
release cycle a good thing for a web server? I knew no better so I
thought gnome-cups was fine. I've never needed to remotely set up a
local printer :-)

Everything I've ever wanted to add is addressed in this document (though
I don't have a TV card on Linux):
http://ubuntuguide.org/

Ubuntu users are expected to know less so if you ask for help you are
more likely to get it 'with a smile'.

> RAID setup isn't too much of a problem, although I'm not sure if
> either installer allows you to do it at install time (I may be wrong
> though)

I'm fairly sure that Ubuntu asks a question about logical volumes and
RAID but don't they both use the same installer now?

> The TV tuner bit will require a card that is supported by the kernel;
> google will probably be your best friend with regards to this.
>
> David

Agreed. "ubuntu tv" gives tvtime for Ubuntu or Debian. I think there are
others.

Woo