[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 20:58:52 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:25:18 +0000 (GMT), Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Kevan
 I have not installed any
> apps that did not come with SuSE.

Nope, nor me :-)

> I think you may have issues with the Win partition, I
> think Peter mentioned this. I have a clean Linux
> machine so that might explain some things.

It's fine if I happen to log in as root.  I can do whatever I want.
It is set up exactly the same as I had it when it was SuSE 9.1  That
worked as it should.  It's also a clean install of 9.2 rather than an
upgrade.  But even if it was an upgrade the partition should still be
available to all users.  users being the group that everybody is in
and users is specified in fstab.  I have also now added 'r,w' without
the quotes to the relevant line in fstab.  Still I cannot write to the
partition.  However, oddly, I can copy stuff from the partition and
then subsequently edit it in the new location.  I would have thought
that this would not be possible?

> Have you tried changing the default download location
> in Firefox to the SuSe partition?

Yes, and that works :-)  But, I want to be able to download to this
particular drive as it is in a removeable tray and I can transfer it
physically to a Windows box if needs be.

I have found something very interesting in the manual.  Apparently
there is a new 'improved' method of setting permissions.  Ah, ha, I
think.  Perhaps it is this that is messing up the standard
permissions?  Of course the big problem is that I have been landed
with a massive report to write and I 'have' to concentrate on that
over the weekend :-(((((  oh, frustration, frustration....

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street