[Wolves] Updating from RH8 to Fedora X (was remote update of pc)

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 13:06:30 GMT 2005

On Saturday 05 Feb 2005 11:44, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Saturday 05 February 2005 02:00, Alan Pope wrote:
> > > A feature I'd quite like to see in Fedora (etc) is the ability to
> > > specify that certain older packages are to be retained - such as the
> > > web, mail and database server in the example above - whilst the
> > > remainder of the distro can be upgraded as much as possible subject to
> > > dependency constraints. The point
> >
> > This is easily done with Debian and Ubuntu - and any other system that
> > is based on dpkg/apt. You can put packages on hold for exactly this
> > reason.
>
> I'm confused, what method are you using to update? all the update programs
> yum, apt and even up2date gives you the option of what to update and what
> to leave alone. The only annoying thing is the icon will keep flashing red
> in the system tray for those packages you did not update if you run GUI.

Referring to updating from one OS version to the next rather than individual
security updates. I guess this can now be done through yum/apt on Fedora
these days, though I've yet to try it.

Have taken a similar approach to Ron in the past in an upgrade from RH8 to FC2
- transfering services to another machine while doing the rebuild.