[Wolves] Updating from RH8 to Fedora X (was remote update of pc)

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sat Feb 5 10:36:48 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 00:23 +0000, Wayne Morris wrote:
> When I bit the bullet and rebooted the server with a cdrom fitted, I
> found that it was the only pc in the building
> still running RH8 rather than Fedora 1, I'd forgotton it and never got
> round to updating it as it runs so well.
>
> So do I update to FC1, 2 or 3 and more crucially will it break anything?
>
> I currently use it for
> Web
> Email (Exim)
> Mysql/php
>
> Variuos things have been tweake to suit, I don't want to have to do them
> again.
>
> Or should I leave it alone, build a pc and put FCx straight onto it, and
> then swop service over one by one to the new box?

The latter course of action (build a new machine with FC2/3) is the path
I would follow.  This way there is no disruption of service while you
switch over (servers are meant to serve after all).

I followed a similar course when switching from SuSE to Gentoo recently.
I installed a generic Pentium kernel (replacing the athlon optimised
kernel), transfered the hard disks from my server into an old k6/500
machine which I ran until I had all services running to my satisfaction
on the rebuilt server.  I copied the data over (excluding the mailboxes)
then switched IP addresses and copied the mailboxes over.

The total down time was about 20 minutes while I switched disks and
about 2 minutes while I switched IP addresses.

HTH

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk