[Wolves] SMTP turn on

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Thu Feb 10 14:50:51 GMT 2005

If your trying to use your local machine as a mail
server then from the command line:-
/etc/init.d/sendmail start

will start the service, but you'll need to restart it
if you reboot the machine. On SuSE:-
chkconfig sendmail on

will sort that out for you. I've never used FC3
though.

If you have Gnome running then there is a "services"
item on one of the menus that will allow you to start
sendmail and mark it to be started on boot. I cant
think where it is now but its burried in one of the
system type menus.

Its probably called sendmail rather then smtp (or
maybe postfix, the program name anyway rather then the
service it provides).

If you need a pop3 or imap server then there will be
equivalent commands for those servers but you are on
your own figuring out what they are! (Oh ok then, you
could start by using "man -k pop3" which will get all
the man pages of things to do with pop3, and hunt
through them to find the server you have installed)

Of course if you're actually trying to use a remote
smtp server for outgoing email then possibly your
firewall might be the problem.

Not very usefull I know but SuSE, WindowMaker and the
command line are more my thing.

chris