[Wolves] MX records

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:17:43 GMT 2005

HI,

Currently my mail server (exchange) :( is currently setup to just poll
a pop3 account for e-mail. Which IMO is a waste of the exploitive cost
of exchange, so Im attempting to get them to do their own e-mail.
However it may be on a *nix box instaed of exchange which makes me
happy.

At the momment they are saying 'oh, its less secure to do it via MX
records' (and i get the impression that they dont understand how
e-mail works corectly).

I have until friday to make my presentation apparently. Anyway, are
their any dns guru's about that can help me define what mx records
are, best practices and security related issues.

Im not brilliant at DNS so I only really have a rough idea of what im
talking about, but i know more about it than people here.

For some reaosn i always get the reputation of the technical one, mind
that what you get for working for MS based companies, If you cant
point and click then its too hard, the IT managers idea of finding
answers is phoning his brother, yep a *nix techie.

--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB