[Wolves] MX records

Jon Farmer jonfarmer at enta.net
Thu Feb 17 10:45:15 GMT 2005

Simon Burke wrote:

> At the momment they are saying 'oh, its less secure to do it via MX
> records' (and i get the impression that they dont understand how
> e-mail works corectly).

It's impossible to do SMTP mail exchange without MX records over the
internet.

> I have until friday to make my presentation apparently. Anyway, are
> their any dns guru's about that can help me define what mx records
> are, best practices and security related issues.

DNS MX records define the "Mail Exchangers" for the domain. This can
typically mean the main SMTP in server(s) and any secondary or tertiary
et al servers that handle mail for the domain when the main servers are
not available. The MX records are setup in DNS with a 'waiting' to
define if they are primary or secondary etc.

> For some reaosn i always get the reputation of the technical one, mind
> that what you get for working for MS based companies, If you cant
> point and click then its too hard, the IT managers idea of finding
> answers is phoning his brother, yep a *nix techie.

What might be an idea is to do a dump of the DNS records for your domain
name and show your "doubting thomas" the already existing MX records
that point to the IP of the server of your current POP host.

--
Jon Farmer
Systems Programmer