[Wolves] Hooray I can see Debian!!

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 10:40:36 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 09:59, Adam Sweet wrote:

> Basically they freeze testing and then fix as many
> critical bugs as they can while they shape up for the
> next major release. It has been 3 years between
> releases in the past, though I think 2.2 and 3.0 were
> 18 months apart. They only add security updates and
> bugfixes to the exisiting stable release during that
> time. Thats why it looks so old.

Aaaaah, so I'm not gonna see blue curve then?

> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change every instance
> of the word stable to the word testing (don't change
> the CD line). Better still, make a copy of every line
> (except CD) and do the above with the new lines. Then
>
> apt-get update
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade

I have had a lot of trouble with this, ideally I would have preferred to stick
r4 on I don't know if you remember I posted that I paid £30.00 for the DVD r4
version but the disk was corrupt they then sent me woody r3 on CD with (I
hope) r4 upgrade CD discs I suppose I could have got angry and said "Well
wheres my refund? I paid for DVD but got Cd's" but I cant be bothered.

I have the CD-ROM listed as a source so I'm hoping I can plonk the (supposed)
upgrade disk in and take it from there.

I just need to get my head around all this deselect, tasksel, dpkg and so on I
was thinking of putting Synaptic on but that is pointless as the cram book I
have doesn't deal with that, there is Kpackage manager installed but again I
need to keep clear of that.

> It won't be pleasant on 56k if you're at home...

What no Broadband? :D

Dont worry work has a very nice Broadband I'll download the lot to my laptop
and take it home :-)

> Welcome to the real true path ;-)

Nooooooooooo

(In a deep french acsent) "You'll never take me alive copper"

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk