[Wolves] Hooray I can see Debian!!

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:58:13 GMT 2005

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 09:59, Adam Sweet wrote:

> Aaaaah, so I'm not gonna see blue curve then?

No. And thats a good thing.

> > Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change every
> instance
> > of the word stable to the word testing (don't
> change
> > the CD line). Better still, make a copy of every
> line
> > (except CD) and do the above with the new lines.
> Then
> >
> > apt-get update
> >
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> I have had a lot of trouble with this, ideally I
> would have preferred to stick
> r4 on I don't know if you remember I posted that I
> paid £30.00 for the DVD r4
> version but the disk was corrupt they then sent me
> woody r3 on CD with (I
> hope) r4 upgrade CD discs I suppose I could have got
> angry and said "Well
> wheres my refund? I paid for DVD but got Cd's" but I
> cant be bothered.
>
> I have the CD-ROM listed as a source so I'm hoping I
> can plonk the (supposed)
> upgrade disk in and take it from there.

R4 is just a security update release, there will only
be no newer versions (in terms of software release
numbers).

> I just need to get my head around all this deselect,
> tasksel, dpkg and so on I
> was thinking of putting Synaptic on but that is
> pointless as the cram book I
> have doesn't deal with that, there is Kpackage
> manager installed but again I
> need to keep clear of that.

For your own purposes just use apt, but I guess you
need to work with the others for the thing you're
doing (LPI?).

> > It won't be pleasant on 56k if you're at home...
>
> What no Broadband? :D
>
> Dont worry work has a very nice Broadband I'll
> download the lot to my laptop
> and take it home :-)

Doesn't really work like that unless you download the
entire debian archive for your chosen version (stable,
testing etc) inc security, non-us, non-free if you
chose it etc. Thats gigabytes of stuff. And add your
laptop as a source in sources.list. Someone else might
be able to tell you the best way of doing something
like this as I've never done it. I guess you can do
that with FC. Debian gets a list of the latest
packages (apt-get update) and then when you issue
apt-get dist-upgrade, checks the package lists for the
latest versions and works out which ones it needs to
update before prompting you to install the newest
versions.

> > Welcome to the real true path ;-)
>
> Nooooooooooo
>
> (In a deep french acsent) "You'll never take me
> alive copper"

(Deep pseudo-German accent) "Ve have vays."

Ad

=====
--

http://www.drinky.org.uk