[Wolves] Host look up problem with email

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Mon Feb 21 11:01:56 GMT 2005

> Hi,
>
> My email server correctly sends mail sent to it by
> smtp from clients on
> the Lan, but mail generated on the same machine
> by a web client is held in the out queue with 'host
> lookup not completed'
>
> As DNS seems to be ok (other mail is sent, web
> browsing from this
> machine works, incoming mail is correctly checked
> for DNS entry),
> I'm baffled as to why this is happening.
>
> Any ideas pls.
>
> Wayne

What do you mean by a web client?
hotmail/gmail/webmail? or mail
client/thunderbird/pine?

Assuming the latter try:
echo "hello world" | mail youraddress at here.com

If it gives the same error then check /etc/mail.rc
there should be a line that tells it the default smtp
server to use:
set smtp=maila.microsoft.com
if this line exists but doesn't point to your local
machine (or any other valid smtp server) it will fail.
The setting defaults to localhost iirc so you can just
remove it. Other mail clients may just be invoking
mail to send stuff.

Alternativley check you've set your mail client up
correctly, misspellings may cause issues.

chris
P.S. I currently have 256 unread mails in my wolveslug
box, 128 in my sblug box, 16 in another box, and 2 in
my inbox, an interesting co-incidence. I had 289 in my
spam box but you can never rely on spammers to keep to
the pattern :-(