[Wolves] Web Site

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Wed Feb 23 10:28:51 GMT 2005

On 23/2/2005, "Peter Cannon" <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
>I have an idea for having a search field on my site where someone types in a
>question say "How do I do an NFS mount" and it returns all the references it
>finds to key words such as NFS & Mount I think it will need a database which
>will take up too much room, its a pity that I cant use a sort of harvester to
>collect the info from other sites.

Er, Google, surely? Google is very good at this sort of thing.

>>Interesting. Was the site entirely produced in Nvu? If it's generating
>>duff code then it's not doing what it's supposed to...
>
>Um, with crossed fingers behind my back, yes course it was.
>
>Truthfully I really, really wanted to do it in Nvu, Bluefish blah blah blah.
>If I had been prepared to not have anything up and running for 3 or 4 months
>then I probably would have used either of those products what I did was
>created the site in Frontpage then reworked them in Nvu.

That's why it's invalid, then. This is why I asked for a review; if Nvu
is unable to create a site of the simplicity of the one that you've
done so far then it's completely useless. What I don't understand is
whether Nvu is really that useless, and why you think it would take
three months to create a site with it.

>1. I don't know all the technical terms.
>2. IMHO I think it would be better as home user type scenario as the majority
>of people understand "Click on the line, drag it to the left" type stuff.

Yes. People who understand technical details of HTML are emphatically not
the target audience for Nvu, because they won't be using Nvu; they'll
be hand-cutting their HTML in Bluefish. Nvu is designed for people who
want to create sites and couldn't care less about technical details.
That's why a review from me would be useless and a review from you
wouldn't be.

>One other weird issue having reworked it, Nvu, it seems, does not like .bmp
>images this is why I pulled the site I re-did the affected images in Gimp and
>saved them as .png Nvu was a lot happier and so was the site.

This is because you shouldn't use .bmp files. Graphics for the web
should be gif, png, or jpg. Stick with those three and you can't go
wrong.

Aq.