[Wolves] setup a internet link during bootup on Ubuntu (warty)

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 23:28:29 GMT 2005

 --- baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> When I was running FC3 it would 'turn on' the
> Internet via my Belkin
> ADSL router/modem during bootup, when it set the
> clock to the ntp
> server. Anyone know how you can provoke warty to do
> that??
>
> I've had a play with sudo pppoe config, but no joy.

I assume that you connect to the router via ethernet?
As an independent unit, the Belkin should take care of
itself. What you need to do is either set up your
ethernet card to be on the same network as the
router's internal address, or make sure the router is
running a dhcp server and tell your network card to
use DHCP. Choose DHCP for an easy life if you're not
big on network config though it's very easy ;)

All of this can be done via the Gnome menu:

Computer > System Configuration > Networking.

Either add your card if it's not there, or if it
exists, select it, choose properties, tell it to
activate when the computer starts and either tell it
use DHCP or give it your IP address, subnet mask and
gateway address (ie the internal network address of
the router).

You should be able to work out the router's internal
IP address by looking at it's built in configuration
interface.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. It
should just be a case of telling your card to use DHCP
and to activate the interface at boot.

Ad

=====
--