[Wolves] Hard drive failure

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 19:32:25 GMT 2005

 --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When a Hard Drive is formatted at the
> factory there are
> always a number of 'hidden' blocks spare.  They can
> be brought into
> play in this sort of scenario.  Well, that's what I
> was told by the
> Seagate guys :-)))

I've heard a bit about this and you stand to increase
the capacity of the drive but it puts you at serious
risk of losing stuff so I would be careful with this,
not that this is applicable in this case as you have
already lost stuff.

When a hard drive fails a quality test, they reduce
the capacity and retry the test, if it passes, it is
rebadged with the new capacity and sold, if not they
keep going until they have a working drive with a
usable capacity.

Bringing this extra capacity into play is a dangerous
game.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the problem other
than to say that when my drive died, I got read seek
errors (can't remember if that is correct off the top
of my head), but you would see them in dmesg or
something. It basically means the disk is borked.

I don't know how to do a data recovery on it though.

Ad

=====
--

http://www.drinky.org.uk