[Wolves] New install options

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Sat Jan 8 20:16:09 GMT 2005

Wayne Morris wrote:
> Well, I think my HD is dead, got the click of death now, tried all
> options here and some disk utilities without joy.
> I've got two choices at this point, I have an identical drive that I
> could try swopping components off or I could send the
> drive to a recovery place - this is EXPENSIVE - one place wants £400+
> but can't do it at the moment, the other wants £700 for
> 4 day service or £1100 for 2 day service! Don't think its worth it for a
> bunch of my mums photos!.

One thing that is worth trying is to heat up the hard disk gently -
putting on a warm radiator or similar - until it is at its normal
operating temperature. It's the heating and cooling that generaly cause
electronic or mechanical failure, switching them on or off. The small
amount of movement with heating up can free a motor that is reluctant to
start.

Is the drive spinning up to speed - can you hear it with an ear to the
case? Sometimes you can get a reluctant hard disk to get going by
rotating it sharply about an axis through the centre of the disk with
the power on, with and without the heating up described.

Mark