[Wolves] Microsoft licensing - (continued from the LUG meating)

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:06:50 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:54:54 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> Andy Wootton wrote:
> > I decided that in order to see a 'Webinar' (Yuk!) presentation from the
> > States tomorrow night I would install software on my home Win 98 PC. It
> > requires me to update Media Player. Here are some of the licence
> > conditions that certain LUG members (*) believe would be better ignored
> > by us pedants:
> [snip]
> > I'll just agree to it, it's easier.
> > * Names deleted to protect the guilty but Mr O'B. knows who he is.
>
> Ha!
>
> Woo, you are a mighty comedy genius.
>
> I wait eagerly for Mr No Bacon's response.
>
> Aq.

It's the bits in the DRM that imply that stuff like music downloads
may be able to spy on my PC that worry me.  This is yet another issue
I have been reading up on.  It's very worrying really.  The trouble
is, as has been stated, it is so damn complex that people do just tick
the box and agree.

Adding to this, I will say that I have been angry about the whole area
of copyright for much longer than I have known about the DRM or even
the whole Open Source ethos.  It all started when I realised -
literally decades ago - that a certain Mr Disney was allowed to use
old stories and then place copyright on them just through a few minor
alterations.  Ok, that's glossing over it in a big way, but it
intrigued and angered me at the time.  I think I was in my early teens
then :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer