[Wolves] Fedora Core 3

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 09:57:39 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 01:11, Adam Sweet wrote:

>  --- Tim Humpherson <tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No Match for argument apt-get
> > Nothing to do

Hm, thats strange, oops, I think it should have been yum install apt sorry.

> The package is probably called apt. apt-get is one of
> many apt commands, as is apt-cache.

I sure its yum install apt

> If you do 'yum install synaptic' (am not a Fedora
> user, so the correctness of this command is assumed
> from your own post) then it should get apt along with
> it as a dependency and provide you with the nice
> synaptic GUI front end to apt.

That might work I've not done it that way but it stands a good chance as most
of these programs are pretty smart these days if you try and install
something it will automatically offer/instruct that another package needs to
be installed as well. :-)

> Speak to Peter Cannon et al for advice on using more
> than one package management tool under Fedora.

OK, Pete stands on his soap box, clears his throat, there is nothing, repeat,
nothing wrong in running two or three types together e.g. yum, apt or
up2date.

The issue is drive capacity if you run all three simultaneously they will eat
up space very fast as they all need a database file of whats installed etc.

Ad is right in the sense that I did run yum and apt together for about 8-9
months there was the odd occasion when yum got unhappy but the problems were
easy to solve.

I use, as said before, Synaptic exclusively. Soft as it sounds I'm trying to
progress to a stage where I can do away with with that and just use apt from
a terminal however my command line skills are very poor.

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk