[Wolves] Fedora Core 3

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:58:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:33:26 +0000, Tim Humpherson
<tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK Peter,
>
> I have tried the following Distros:
>
> 1. Debian (favoured by Jono and my first attempt to install Linux
> OS.....pretty hard, but I'll save that for when I get used to Linux
> first)
>
> 2. Xandros (not bad, but difficult to get good support)
>
> 3. Mandrake 10.1 (It's alright, dunno if you would recommend me that or not?)
>
> 4. SuSE 9.2 Professional - Pretty cool and I liked it very much, but
> tricky when I tried to install softwares.  Maybe I didn't read
> properly re the rpm package instructions?
>
> 5. Fedora Core 3 (I'm using it currently) - Very nice package, I guess
> I might have been influenced to choose FC3 as per Linux Format's
> reviews.  Just because lots of people favours Apt-Get technology
> (Debian) can be used under FC3.  I don't know how to get that done.
> Moreover, I'm suprised that Thunderbird 1.0 does not work under FC3?
> I wonder why?
>
> So, Peter, just tell me which Linux Distro would you RECOMMEND for a
> beginner like me?

I know this was directed at Peter but being fairly new to Linux - I'm
not counting my years of abortive attempts since about 1998 -  I would
say the top two distributions for a newcomer have to be either SuSE
9.1 or 9.2 and Mandrake 10 or 10.1  I find that things just work with
SuSE 9.2  My PC is not really powerful enough to run Mandrake 10.1 for
some reason but it is a low powered PC with an AMD 350 K2 CPU and
256mb of PC100 RAM.  The graphics card is a lowly 16mb Voodoo Banshee
3dfx and Linux does not like to play with 3d acceleration with this
particular card.  At some future date I will upgrade it probably to a
NVidia 64mb card.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer