[Wolves] Strange graphics problem

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 12:30:41 GMT 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:46:08 +0000, James Rogers <phb01jdr at shef.ac.uk> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> >I have just come across a very strange graphics problem.  I've
> >upgraded my graphics card from an old 3dfx Voodoo Banshee with 16mb of
> >RAM to a NVidia 64mb GeForce - FX400  It has installed ok and been
> >registered in my SuSE box.  But, the damn resolution is wrong :-(  Sax
> >is reporting it as 1024x768 which is what I normally run at and am
> >happy with.  However, it most certainly is not this resolution and
> >Control Centre is correctly reporting it as being 800x600.  There is
> >no higher resolution available in Control Centre.  Which is ridiculous
> >because the card can handle it as can the monitor - it's what I ran
> >before on the old graphics card.  It's made worse by the fact that it
> >started up ok at 1024x768 and only dropped down when I put the colour
> >depth at 24 bit.  Again, my normal mode.  I have tried taking colour
> >depth back to 16 bit to no avail.
> >
> >Any ideas?  NVidia drivers are installed.
> >

> Yo!
> first time on list but have quite a bit of experience with nvidia cards
> first have you tried
> 1. ctrl + alt + Plus to cycle res.
> 2. startx -- -depth 16 ?? or colormap 16
> 3 'Ignore EDID "true" ' in xorg.config ? -- ignores monitor "reported"
> capabilities - pretty useless defaults
>
> James

Hi James.  Typically I had completely forgotten about that way of
cycling through the resolutions :-)  I've read about it a few times
but never had to use it.  X is set to start automatically and I'm
loathe to go into init to change the run level.  I know how just
loathe to mess when things are working (as they now are).  Not gone
into Xorg.config.  I'll have a look alter and see what is there.
Cheers mate ;-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer