[Wolves] Linux in schools

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 00:43:44 GMT 2005

Mark Ellse wrote:

> Andy,
>
> I am very happy to give any help/advice, and even visit the school.
> But remember that school licences for Windows are not very expensive.
> It might be worth trying to slip into Open Source via OpenOffice, and
> a linux server.

Yes, that is the way I would like to work. I don't know much about the
kit  that is currently available yet but I expect a lot of it won't run
XP. I'm hoping to recycle some of the old equipment as thin clients. I
accept that licences aren't expensive but I believe that licensing is.
The simple fact that a licence has to be bought to implement a new idea
stops things from happening. I had two 6 month contracts just bringing
software, licences and software maintenance contracts up to date. In a
Linux network than can be automated, without expensive management software.

What were your reasons for changing?

> Remember that the school will have a few bits of 'educational
> software' using Windows.

Are Windows Terminal Services cheap in education too?

> Again, happy to help in any way I can.
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark.

Woo [I guess that may have to be Mr. Woo in front of the children :-) ]