[Wolves] GNOME + nautilus questions

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Mon Jan 31 08:27:00 GMT 2005

Rob Annable wrote:
>>>Thirdly, if I choose 'open location' and type in an ftp address it
>>>mounts a link on the desktop and then tries to boot my default web
>>>browser when I click it; then it fails because it hasn't asked for the
>>>login details. What's with that? I just want it to ask me for the user
>>>and password, save it, and open the location in a Nautilus window.
>>
>>Try File | Connect To Server, and fill in the details. You'll then get
>>an FTP window again, which will also be created in Network so you can go
>>back to it later.
>
> Weird. It was the File | Connect to Server bit that I was trying.
> Nothing happens at all in the window I'm in but it mounts a link to
> the location on the desktop...except that when you click on that it
> boots Firefox and then gives me a 'no anonymous login' error since it
> hasn't given me the option to tell it the user and pass. Is it because
> I chose to make Firefox my default web browser?

In the Connect To Server dialog, is there not an option for a username?
If you don't fill it in, then I suspect that that means "don't use a
username" rather than "ask me every time I connect", which is why it's
trying anonymous access.

> Re. list of services: all I really want is to be able to browse the
> contents of my phone and copy and paste. The list of services ran to
> about 7 or 8 items in KDE, but I didn't get chance to try many out;
> the bit that mattered was the OBEX thingimajig that opened my phone
> like another drive and let me browse. I think the 'bluetooth:///'
> thing is what it said on the location bar in KDE - I'm guessing that's
> incorrect in GNOME.

Um. I think that that *was* correct for a bit but then it changed. I
think. As I say, I'm new to this myself :) Being able to browse the
phone's list of files would be super-cool; I had no idea it was possible...

Aq.