[Wolves] GNOME + nautilus questions

Rob Annable rob.annable at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:32:34 GMT 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:27:03 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:

> >>Try File | Connect To Server, and fill in the details. You'll then get
> >>an FTP window again, which will also be created in Network so you can go
> >>back to it later.
> >
> > Weird. It was the File | Connect to Server bit that I was trying.
> > Nothing happens at all in the window I'm in but it mounts a link to
> > the location on the desktop...except that when you click on that it
> > boots Firefox and then gives me a 'no anonymous login' error since it
> > hasn't given me the option to tell it the user and pass. Is it because
> > I chose to make Firefox my default web browser?
>
> In the Connect To Server dialog, is there not an option for a username?
> If you don't fill it in, then I suspect that that means "don't use a
> username" rather than "ask me every time I connect", which is why it's
> trying anonymous access.

No option for it, just two boxes - a name to give it so that it can
decide what to call the folder it mounts and then the ftp address.
Nothing for the login details. I guess this is the root of the
problem.

> > Re. list of services: all I really want is to be able to browse the
> > contents of my phone and copy and paste. The list of services ran to
> > about 7 or 8 items in KDE, but I didn't get chance to try many out;
> > the bit that mattered was the OBEX thingimajig that opened my phone
> > like another drive and let me browse. I think the 'bluetooth:///'
> > thing is what it said on the location bar in KDE - I'm guessing that's
> > incorrect in GNOME.
>
> Um. I think that that *was* correct for a bit but then it changed. I
> think. As I say, I'm new to this myself :) Being able to browse the
> phone's list of files would be super-cool; I had no idea it was possible...

It absolutely rocked in KDE, I hope we can solve it in GNOME. I feel a
wiki page coming on...

Rob
--
http://rob.annable.co.uk