[Wolves] help with gentoo

David Morgan david.morgan at wadham.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 00:31:22 BST 2005

On 00:06 Fri 01 Jul     , Ron Wellsted wrote:

> David Morley wrote:
> > I decided after having half a dozen programs lockup on me that I would
> > try GENTOO again.  Knowing a bit more than I did before about Linux and
> > talking to Ron at LRL it reminded me that I didn't have the same problem
> > with GENTOO I just didn't know what to do with Gentoo once it had
> > finally installed.  I've got pretty much everything installed had a
> > couple of problems with Nvidia GLX and KERNEL but finally got them to
> > install next is to edit the xorg.conf file but there isn't one where
> > gentoo say it is can anyone help please?
> >

> Mine is at:
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Yeh, that's the file he needs.

Gentoo will create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.example for you (or it should do),
but you'll need to either create /etc/X11/xorg.conf yourself, or run
xorgcfg/xorgconfig/X --configure (2 of them might actually be the same,
but iirc at least of one of them tries to create xorg.conf for you, and
at least one of them asks you questions and then makes the file based on
that).

The other thing you could try is emerge mkxf86config and run that (I
think it uses the kudzu hardware detection stuff that knoppix uses),
I've never tried it though.

Or, you could use an xorg.conf (or XF86Config-4 (or whatever it
was called) created by another distro if you have one).

Dave