[Wolves] Re: ooo

roundyz roundyz at hotpop.com
Mon Jul 4 12:05:25 BST 2005

On Monday 04 Jul 2005 10:58, wolves-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> >On Sunday 03 July 2005 08:33 pm, Andy Wootton wrote:
> >

> >>Sean Spencer wrote:
> >>

> >I'm gonna try Abiword etc, think I get the impression unless I've got OOo
> >installed on a Kray SuperComputer...it aint gonna be fast ! ;)
> >

> It isn't that bad once it's open. I can run either Firefox or OOo on
> Ubuntu in 192MB but I start taking a hit if I open both at once.
> The OOo team took a design decision to improve performance at the
> expense of startup speed.

Takes 13 secs to open on 1265MB RAM, Fedora core under KDE.
I use Kword myself. Its great for letters and reports,etc. I think OOO takes
itself too seriously. Trys very hard to match features of M$ office. Fat
office suite, so will OOO.
Shame really, they should try to lean it up a bit, I sugget the slim fast
diet ;)

roundyz