[Wolves] [Adam's failure to boot]

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 07:35:38 BST 2005

Right,

The pivot root thing will be certainly solved by you re-creating the
initrd image. The problem is that the initrd image contains various
files (e.g. modules, instructions on how to boot / etc) and it's out of
sync with the "real world".

If you're curious, try :

mount -o loop /boot/initrd.img-2.X.X.XXXXX /mnt/test

and you'll see what it contains.

You should just need to do the following to "fix" your problem :

Edit /etc/mkinitrd/modules and add in the sata modules necessary for
your card, as well as probably scsi_mod and sd_mod. (Just list the
modules, one per line).

Then, try running :

mkinitrd -o /boot/mkinitrd.img.custom `uname -r`

(Where the output of `uname -r` looks pretty like 2.6.10-5-K7.

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (or edit it at bootup) and get it to use your
new custom image, and cross your fingers :)

I'm fairly up to speed on this stuff at the moment after moving to use a
RAID1 root FS recently on my server (it's actually a broken RAID1 as the
shop haven't got another 120gb sata hdd yet)

David.
--
David Goodwin

[ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]