[Wolves] Serial terminal

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 21:36:35 BST 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I've been set a challenge. We have a load of Fedora
>Core 3 and 4 servers at work with RJ45s on the front
>for console redirection and a little cable to connect
>it to a serial port.

Be sure they are RJ45s. There is another serial cable that looks very
similar. What are the servers?

>We're running out of KVM switches and I've been asked
>to set up serial cable connections to the machines.
>How easy is this? I know I can use minicom or seyon
>from a linux machine, telix from DOS or hyperterminal
>from Windows etc.

Well, young Adam m'lad, in my day we would have used a terminal server
with a reverse Telnet connection. It is a box with 8/16/24 serial ports
on one side and Ethernet out at the other. You would then want to put
some security between it and the rest of the network.

You don't need a terminal emulator at the console end, just a login
process controlling the serial port. (David has dealt with this I
think.) You might want a terminal emulator at a PC that you connect into
it, pretending to be a terminal. With a TS you obviously just need
Telnet on the same Ethernet segment.

[ Expect a post from Mr. Turpin any minute now - if my memory of what
was on his top shelf serves me correctly ]

>Sorry if this is an RTFM moment, but I'm puzzled and I
>know some of you grizzled old hacks have been doing
>this for years.
>
>Ad

Cheeky young whipper-snapper!

Woo