[Wolves] cygwin

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 11 15:38:50 BST 2005

Dick Turpin wrote:

>get a medium sized bash shell window which says $ sales at emailsales this is a
>black background with white text, when I did startx I got another window with
>a white background and black text.
>
>Is that it? or should I be getting a proper desk top?
>

> How does it work? is it like VMware?

No. Remember that a Unix shell is a program running on top of the Unix
kernel. Cygwin just runs it on top of Windows instead. The command line
interpretter then calls other support programs as it needs to - grep, vi
etc.

I think they did it by implementing Linux system calls as a DLL. The
shell runs as a Windows program that calls the DLL.

With X on a Windows box you normally have a choice of a single window
containing all of your 'proper desk top' or one X window per application
with the windows managed by MS Windows. I think there were some screen
shots on that link I posted yesterday to give you an idea what to expect.

Woo