Me Bobby is sticking with LINUX its a fwd e-mail Re: [Wolves] Read This - Re: Goodbye

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 19:51:30 BST 2005

Bobby Singh wrote:

(Repeated here because I almost missed it in the subject line - Woo)
"Me, Bobby is sticking with LINUX. It's a fwd e-mail Re: [Wolves]
Read    This - Re: Goodbye"

I'm guessing you have some sympathy with the views expressed though. Do
you think the main problem is that the advantages of Linux of over-sold
or that it doesn't work?

I have never been in the evangelical wing of the Linux community. I
started a row recently by trying to say that I don't think it suits
everyone. I think I gave the impression I was proposing academic
elitism. I wasn't.

I think Linux is like a power-tool. In the right hands and with plenty
of practice it can produce beautifully crafted custom-built furniture
but many people would just damage themselves trying to use it without
instruction. Linux is for people who are willing to go to woodwork
classes and build a few wobbly tables in their pursuit of excellence.
The others would be better off buying a flat-pack kit in the full
knowledge that it will fall apart after a few months and need to be
replaced.

Woo