[Wolves] Solaris now open source

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 22:10:36 BST 2005

Simon Burke wrote:

>http://opensolaris.org/
>
>It looks like solaris is now officially open source, which i think is
>good news (being a solaris fan, sorry). I'll finally get to play with
>the source a bit.

I think Sun have been treated quite badly by the Linux community. For a
few years they were the only company that kept Unix alive while HP and
IBM hedged with Wintel boxes. Sun contributed a lot to open standards
and I feel a bit sorry for them. They have finally been proved right to
have stuck with Unix but the rules have changed.

At a quick glance the licence looks open but not free. Given the
problems Sun have had with the Java licence, it may not be enough to
satisfy their critics.

Woo