[Wolves] OT: Programming Languages

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Fri Mar 4 04:13:24 GMT 2005

Chris Ball wrote:
> I need to write a program that will work both via a web-browser, and as
> a stand-alone app. I was hoping to be able to do this without to much
> difference between the interfaces of both programs. Would Java (Applets)
> be the only real way foward with this, or are there other languages I
> could use?

I recommend thinking about this slightly differently. Instead of trying
to write one program that works in two entirely differently
environments, write three simpler programs: a server, a web client for
that server, and a desktop client for that server. While the combination
of the three will be a little more effort than just one, the resultant
program will be a lot better; web applications are *not the same* as
desktop applications, and they bring with them a whole new set of
expectations as to user interface. Just to give one example, in a web
browser, it's normal to click on an underlined word and expect something
to happen; in a desktop application, it is emphatically not normal to do
that. If you've got a clearly defined protocol between the server and
the client then it's reasonably easy to implement the client and the
server themselves, and this will make each application more relevant to
the context in which it runs.

Aq.