[Wolves] Installed Programs and SuSE 9.2 Pro

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 11:15:35 GMT 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:28:30 +0000, Tom Mortimer-Jones
<tmj at tc.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Tim Humpherson wrote:
> > I know I can install a newer version of GIMP, which currently is on
> > 2.2, however, my SuSE 9.2 Pro's update status says that all installed
> > programs are "up-to-date", even though my GIMP is at 2.0?
> >
> > Is it because of SuSE's refusal to include GIMP 2.2 in its
> > repositories because of unstability/untested software or what?
>
> Didn't you ask this question before and got a little telling off for
> doing so?
>
> It IS up to date. SuSE will only change the version of the program when
> they release a new distro, 9.3 is due out at the end of April and it
> will have gimp 2.2.
>
> http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/preview/index.html
>
> I think you've got the wrong idea about what Yast Online Update. Its all
> about bug fixes and security patches, not about versions of the program.
> Online update does as little as possible, while fixing bugs, so that
> your system doesn't change when you only want a security fix.
>
> How mad would you be if you were using gimp 2.0 for your job and then
> you did an update and 2.2 was installed and it was different and didn't
> do what you wanted? Plus think how much work SuSE would have to do to
> keep up with every update of every package.
>
> > Would it be alright if I can install 2.2 manually or would this mess
> > up SuSE's  several other dependencies?
>
> There are rpms on the gimp site which may or may not mess up your setup
> or you could wait until 9.3 or if you're feeling brave (but with no risk
> to your system) you could compile from source, which wouldn't be too
> difficult and would give you an amazing buzz when you do it. As long as
> you tell configure to put it somewhere different there is no reason why
> you can't have the gimp 2.0 rpm and 2.2 from source on the same machine.
> One word of advice is if you need any dependencies, like GTK+
> development libs etc, install them from the SuSE disks rather than going
> source code crazy.
>
> Let me know if you need any help trying to compile it.
>
> Tom.

I might be wrong, and feel free to say so if I am, but I think SuSE do
have the latest programs on their website.  They are not on the YOU
list though.  You need to navigate through the site and they are then
available as either http or ftp downloads.  I think Peter gave me the
URL for them but it's on my other PC.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer